Deadline 6 introduced an incredibly flexible and efficient User Interface across all platforms, combined with a new highly-scalable database backend. The new User Group Management system allows users to be split into groups, with different permissions assigned to each group. Farm administration is made easier with the ability to stream the render log from remote machines.
Deadline 6.1 built upon this foundation by adding a wealth of new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. Use the new node-based Job Dependency View in the Deadline Monitor to view and modify a job’s dependencies. Set up dependencies on assets (textures, cache files, etc.) or Python scripts so that a job only starts when all assets are available and the Python scripts return success. Customize Deadline's job scheduling to use a First-in-First-out, Balanced or Weighted system. Connect to the new RESTful API in Pulse directly or via the new Standalone Python API wrapper scripts to collect job and slave data from Deadline or make changes to that data.
Deadline 6.2 added support for Autodesk 2015 products (3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, Composite), Anime Studio 10, Clarisse iFX, DJV Imaging, modo 8xx and modo Distributed Rendering, SketchUp 3D, and VRay's ply2mesh tool. Additional features include support for the GPU-accelerated Redshift renderer in Maya and Softimage and all Maya Extensions, as well as a new integrated submitter for Houdini.
Deadline 6.2.1 is the latest version of the render queue management system, and includes several enhancements, bug fixes, and new application support. Support has been added for After Effects CC 2014, Cinema 4D 16, Fusion 7, Nuke 9 and Realflow 2014.
Note that 6.2 license is still required to run this version. If you have a license for Deadline 6.1 or earlier, you will need an updated Deadline license. Also note that Deadline 6.2 ships with Draft 1.1, so if you're upgrading from Deadline 6.0 or earlier, you will need an updated Draft license.
New Application Support
Support has been added for After Effects CC 2014, Cinema 4D 16, Fusion 7, Nuke 9 and Realflow 2014.
- Sequential jobs are no longer dropped for higher priority jobs. Once a slave picks up a sequential job, it will keep rendering it until the job is complete or the render is canceled.
- Added a job task buffer value that can be applied to balanced or weighted algorithms to help prevent slaves from jumping between jobs to keep things balanced.
- Fixed a bug that could cause interruptible jobs to be interrupted for another job of equal priority.
- Fixed a bug that allowed regular tasks to be dequeued before a job's pre-job script was complete.
- Improved the performance of how job tasks are updated in some cases.
- Added new OnTaskTimeout option to mark a task as complete.
- Added optional timeout option for the Starting phase of a job.
- All housecleaning operations are now performed during each housecleaning interval.
- Added housecleaning options to have the housecleaning and pending job scan operations write to a separate log file when they are run as a separate process.
- Unexpected mongodb exceptions now include the stacktrace and exception type.
- The launcher now waits 5 minutes after starting before it starts checking if it should restart a stalled slave. This ensures that if the launcher is set to launch the slave at startup, and that slave previously stalled, the slave will have a chance to cleanup after itself. Otherwise, the launcher might try to launch the slave multiple times.
- On Linux, Deadline's init.d script now shuts down the slaves and the launcher during a reboot/shutdown, which ensures the slaves check their licenses back in.
- On Linux, fixed some other issues in Deadline's init.d script.
- When running as a service on Windows, the Launcher now properly shuts down the Slave when the machine is shut down.
- Added Monitor option to enable slave pinging (it's now disabled by default).
- Added 4 decimal places to the weighted job settings in the Repository Options.
- Deleting jobs from the monitor now logs to the repository history.
- Fixed a startup bug on Linux and Mac OSX that could result in multiple slaves with the same name starting up on the same machine.
- When searching for a job, we no longer prune jobs that have a QueuedChunk count less than or equal to 0. This helps ensure that if a job's state gets messed up, queued tasks will still be dequeued for that job.
- Fixed a bug that caused the slave to reload its limit objects from the database every second. Now it's only done when the slave reloads its job object (which is about every 2 minutes).
- Improved speed and reduced database load when a slave is processing limit groups while searching for a job to render.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Job failure detection settings from being applied when a plugin failed to sync its files.
- Added command line option to DoHouseCleaning to choose which mode to run.
- Fix a bug that prevented module import errors from showing the actual Python error.
- Fixed a bug that prevented JobUtils.CalculateJobStatistics() from working in non-Monitor scripts.
Application Plugin Improvements
3ds Max Improvements
- Added workaround to prevent 3ds Max 2015 from crashing when it's rendering as a service.
- Backported some RTT and other miscellaneous fixes from Deadline 7.
- SMTD - Add [PREVIEW] job ability to enable/disable its parent dependency to the [REMAINING] frames job.
- Added some new sanity checks to SMTD.
After Effects Improvements
- Added support for After Effects CC 2014.
Arnold Standalone Improvements
- Added the -dp flag to the render arguments to speed up the rendering.
Cinema 4D Improvements
- Added support for Cinema 4D 16.
- All multi-pass paths are now included when submitting from the integrated submitter, allowing you to open these output files from the Monitor.
- Fixed a bug in how the integrated submitter gets the output file name in cases where the output name scheme doesn't start with a period.
- Added Path Mapping support to the Draft tile assembler.
- Fixed some issues and added more logging to Draft Tile Assembly jobs.
- Added support for Fusion 7.
- Updated the Fusion plugin icon.
- Fixed some bad logic when checking the output file in the houdini submitter.
- Fixed an error when loading the sticky SubmitSuspended property in the integrated houdini submitter.
- The integrated submitter now includes the current ROP name with the job name.
- Improved Arnold for Houdini support.
Mantra Standalone Improvements
- The "mantra: Bad Alembic Archive" error message is now caught during rendering.
- Fixed an Arnold for Maya verbosity flag bug.
- Fixed some issues when using tile rendering with VRay.
- The Draft Tile Assembler now works when submitting each camera as a separate job.
- VRay render elements are now supported when using the Draft Tile Assembler.
- Arnold AOVs are now supported by tile rendering.
- Fixed the default Maya executable paths on OSX.
- Updated the integrated Maya submitter to properly work with Arnold deepexr files.
- Fixed some Vray related bugs in the integrated Maya submitter due to differences between Vray 2 and Vray 3.
Mental Ray Standalone Improvements
- Added plugin configuration option to treat exit code 1 as error or success.
- Fixed a bug in the integrated modo submitter that prevented it from working in modo 801.
- Added support for Nuke 9.
- Added new Render in Proxy Mode option to the Nuke submitters.
- Fixed an error that could occur if PrepForOFX is not defined in the Nuke.dlinit file.
- The integrated Nuke submitter now includes output paths for all Views so that they can be viewed from the Monitor.
- The integrated Nuke submitter now displays a warning if you are trying to submit a job that has no Views.
- Updated the names given to the Knobs created by the integrated submitter, which seems to address some instability issues that could come up.
- The secondary pool setting is now sticky in the integrated submitter.
- Fixed a bug that could crop up when setting the environment in the nuke submitter prior to launching deadlinecommand.
- Updated Nuke plugin to properly handle frame counts in batch node when given write node names.
- Path separators for the script path are now set per OS after Path Mapping has taken place.
- Added support for Realflow 2014.
- Improved Hybrido simulation progress reporting.
Vray DBR Improvements
- The default Vray spawner paths for 3ds Max Design are now included.
- Fixed a typo in the Vray spawner path for Maya 2015.